Happy FALL y'all! I am excited to get into this edition of 9 THINGS because I'm going to be talking about something that is super new to me - SLOW FASHION!

WHAT THE HECK IS SLOW FASHION?

Slow, ethical, sustainable - all terms you've probably heard thrown around... but what do they actually mean? I'll be honest, I'm still very much learning about all of this, so I'm quoting the below from a post Lee Vosburgh (one of the women who really inspire me to go "slow") wrote back in 2016 that briefly describes each term:
ETHICAL CONSUMERISM – the practice of purchasing products and services produced in a way that minimizes social and/or environmental damage, while avoiding products and services deemed to have a negative impact on society or the environment.
SUSTAINABLE PRODUCTION – the creation of goods and services using processes and systems that are: Non-polluting. Conserving of energy and natural resources. Economically viable. Safe and healthful for workers, communities, and consumers.
ECO-FASHION – is a focus on the production of clothing that takes into account not only the environment, but the health of the consumers who will be wearing the clothes and the working conditions of the people involved with making the clothes.
CONSCIOUS CONSUMER – those who are willing to pay more, wait longer for or buy less of a product that’s been produced in an ethical and/or sustainable way. Fun fact: 66% of consumers around the world say they prefer to buy products and services from companies that have implemented programs to give back to society.
ZERO CARBON FOOTPRINT – refers to achieving net zero carbon emissions by balancing a measured amount of carbon released with an equivalent amount sequestered or offset, or buying enough carbon credits to make up the difference (ie: planting trees).
SLOW FASHION – is about the deliberate choice to buy better-quality items less often. When purchases are made, they’re environmentally and ethically conscious rather than trend-driven. Sought after garments are timeless in design, durable and lend themselves to repairs, not disposal. Slow fashion makes a clear effort to be transparent so buyers know where their clothes are coming from, and items are often handmade by artisans.

* Read her full blog post HERE

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO ME?

I am a chronic consumer... addict even. I am constantly looking for the "new" and tend to get bored easily with my current wardrobe - except for a select few pieces. The funny thing is... I have a whole room (a small room) that my handy hubby converted into my walk-in closet... wall of shoes, racks of tops and dresses... ask me how much of it I actually wear??? Probably 10% of it, and that might be giving myself some credit. I am constantly purging - selling, consigning and donating my pre-loved items, most things I've only worn a handful of times, or not at all. I impulse buy and don't think things through enough - especially when it's a good price!

I need to slow down - literally. Recently I've been focusing on curating my wardrobe, instead of just shopping for it. I've been focusing on fit, longevity and how certain pieces will work with things I already have in my closet. I've been paying more attention to where I buy my clothes, and looking into responsible brands, while sticking with a budget I know I can afford. A fully slow fashion wardrobe is going to take time (and lots of $$$) so I'm starting with baby steps! I also care about the earth and keeping it around long enough for my children, and grandchildren to enjoy. The fashion industry is a HUGE source of pollution for our planet - from the factories, the chemicals and dyes, to the simple fact of how much water is used to make these garments... it's scary stuff! If I can do my part, albeit a small part, I can help make a difference.

SO LET'S GET INTO IT! MY TOP 9 SLOW FASHION PICKS:


    
    
    

TOP ROW

JACKET: Hackwith Design House // Duster Cardigan in "Brick" -- $280
BOOTIES: Nisolo // Dari Boot -- $238
SWEATER: Vetta // The Oversized Sweater -- $159

MIDDLE ROW

SNEAKERS: Veja // Taua Leather in "White" -- $116.62 (roughly)
CULOTTES: Whimsy + Row // Valentina Pant in "Black Linen" $116
PANTS: Elizabeth Suzann // Andy Trouser (Cotton Canvas) in "Natural" -- $195

BOTTOM ROW

DRESS: Reformation // Dawn Dress in "Martini" -- $178
TRENCH: Elizabeth Suzann // Clyde Trench (Cotton Canvas) in "Natural" -- $275
TANK: Only Child // Laguna Tank (Tencel) in "Clay" -- $145

There are many more things I'd love to add to my wardrobe, but seeing as just these 9 things alone would cost me upwards of $1700 + shipping, I think I'll start here, with one or two pieces from this list. I've also been looking into second-hand slow fashion - there are a few Instagram accounts I follow that sell pieces and I've been checking Poshmark and Ebay to see if I come across anything good. It'll be a slow process, but I have to start somewhere!

If you're looking for more ethical fashion brands - this blog post by The Good Trade really helped me!

As always - thanks for reading :)




Post a Comment

© CORPORATE GLITTER. Design by FCD.